GFF (Grond's Final Fantasy)
Hack of Final Fantasy
GFF (Grond's Final Fantasy)
Hack of Final Fantasy
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||07 September 2013|
|Last Modified||09 September 2013|
About This Hack:
The purpose of this hack is to take an already great game and greatly improve on it by enhancing it with special features, ironing out wrinkles in the gameplay (poor balance, annoying quirks, and game-breaking bugs); and to a somewhat lesser extent, to put the author’s own personal spin on the game.
Notable Changes From FF1:
- Many bugfix and enhancement patches made by other ROMhackers applied
- New, animated title added at game startup
- Menu color can be changed–press B at the title repeatedly to cycle through the available colors
- Names of most things expanded and altered
- Saving is now done from the main menu instead of via inns, tents, & such
- You can now sort your magic spells and delete unwanted ones
- In-game world map slightly improved; now accessed by pressing Select+Start instead of B+Select
- B-Button dash available at all times, even on the airship
- Water & such things are animated now, and some areas have palette-cycling effects
- Default (pre-bought/equipped) equipment & spells added at new game
- Censored graphics from the Japanese version restored
- Boss battles have their own songs now, instead of the normal battle music
- Dual-wield ability given to Ninja and Monk/High Monk
- Random battle rate is slightly decreased if a Rogue or Ninja is the party leader
- A few new stat-boosting consumable items added
- Most damaging-dealing spells should usually hit in the greater half of their damage range now
- Elemental magic does 2x (instead of 1.5x) damage against vulnerable enemies (3x if at level 50)
- Some spells switched around; some had effects and/or effectivity altered
- Properties of some weapons and armor altered; some were changed into entirely different things
- Shop inventories modified a bit; prices of many things lowered a little
- Sanctuary (formerly Clinic) can now heal petrification and poison, in addition to death
- Magic Evasion of most foes lowered to a more reasonable amount
- Enemy groups’ “ambush” values now roughly scale with the point in the game in which they are met
- Several area maps altered a bit (mostly cosmetically) and quite a few treasures changed
- A few walk-through-able secret walls added here and there
- Some towns have a hidden treasure to find
- Two hidden bonus areas added: one accessed from the first town (but only late in the game) and one from the last town, south of the hidden magic shops
- Ship puzzle game now gives 500 Gold (50000 if at level 50)
- All party members always gain experience after battle, even if dead or petrified
- In determining preemptives/ambushes, all party members’ Agility and Luck are considered (rather than only the leader’s); if a Rogue or Ninja is the leader, a minor bonus is given at this time
- Oasis remains after rescuing the Fairy (sells the stat-boosting items)
- Harm (Dia) spells now injure enemies in the “Evil” category as well as the Undead
- You can “shoo” most bats away by talking at them
- Level gains occur more rapidly, especially towards the beginning
- New Game Plus mode added–beat the game to restart with your stats, equipment, spells, and gold intact, but events, treasures, levels, job class, and items reset
- Game altered to run on iNES Mapper 4 instead of 1
- Plenty of other minor changes & one or two surprises
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy (U) [!].nes (GoodNES)
- Length: 262,160 bytes (256 KB)
- CRC32: CEBD2A31
- MD5: 24ae5edf8375162f91a6846d3202e3d6
- SHA1: C9CFBF5455085E198DCE039298B083CD6FC88BCE
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Anomie||Hacking||Disassembly, & tons of bugfixes and enhancements|
|AstralEsper||Hacking||Helped with several things|
|Disch||Hacking||FFHackster, disassembly, & water animation hack|
|Goongyae||Hacking||Extended character names & etcetera|
|Grond||Original Hacking||Patch author|
|Levi “Karatorian” Aho||Hacking||"Kung Fu" bugfix, & a handy ROM map|
|Lenophis||Hacking||DTE in-battle patch|
|Leviathan Mist||Music||Ported the new songs from Origins/DoS|
|Paulygon||Hacking||Made FFHacksterPlus & useful Game Genie codes|
User Review Information
AwesomeReviewed By: JulianoFdeS on 28 Apr 2016
This patch is awesome!
When I was looking for a patch, I was just looking for a patch to fix some spells and other noticeable glitches. But I found this…
I see a lot of changes that I couldn’t imagine the reason of this, then, when I started to play, I noticed that the game was acquired a new visual, not just a patch to fix this or that, but a “Downgrade” or “Demake” of Final Fantasy 1 remakes for this old console.
Then I saw that I chose the perfect team to combine with this patch: Warrior, Thief, Monk and Black Mage. A focused team to damage (without repeated jobs)
When I fight against Garland and the boss music began to play.. the same music when I played the PSP version, but now in 8 bits… I thought “the composer of this had an amazing job”, I thought this again and again with the fiends and Chaos, but the Chaos are really, but really enjoyable, my fight with my warriors against he was never so exciting, I really enjoy as much as the original music!
But the fun not end there! The new improved and balanced fights makes the combat against all monsters and single bosses more hardy than the original NES set, making the game more challengeable and in the same time more fair, thanks for the new items, spells and your little alterations that make the whole difference. Due the difficult, I really suffer to beat the game, but each second was cool.
The new and animated graphics, more darkest now, plus the new layout of everything are better now, and now are so good much Final Fantasy II or III Nes graphics.
I will not tell spoilers of this game, but I have sure that if you, like me, played the original and a random remake, you will really to like this game and admire the job of these guys that did this patch. Get ready for a few surprises that you REALLY will not expect!
The Final Fantasy Restored hack will be good for you practice, you need to face this Grond’s hack with more severity.
I recommend this hack for:
- Final Fantasy One Fans.
- General Final Fantasy Fans.
- People that admire good and hard-working patches.
- People that search for a new Final Fantasy challenge.
- People that never played the NES version of Final Fantasy.
- And.. for you that are reading this text, of course! :)
All my thanks for Grond and All involved with this hack, all you did an awesome work and make me happy. =)
I wish good luck for you that will get in this adventure.
May the light be with you. May the crystals shyne forever.
(Sorry any problem with my English, it’s not my native language)
Version 3.22 Recommended - Yes
|Deeply intelligent modifications||Chicken Knife||31 Jan 2018||3.22||Yes|
|Excellent Modification Set||pflarr||19 Jun 2017||3.22||Yes|
|Awesome||JulianoFdeS||28 Apr 2016||3.22||Yes|
|Bloated hack, changes too many things, but didn't fix what was wrong in the 1st place||Bregalad||24 Apr 2014||N/A||No|
|An excellent hack||pianophile||31 Jul 2012||N/A||Yes|