Laplace no Ma
|Released By||Aeon Genesis|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Published By||Vic Tokai|
|Game Date||14 July 1995|
|Release Date||06 September 2018|
|Last Modified||09 September 2018|
Laplace’s Demon is a horror RPG with a Lovecraftian bent. Set in the fictional town of Newcam, Massachusetts in 1924, the player and several paranormal investigators look into some disturbing rumors surrounding a mansion on the outskirts of town.
The Laplace’s Demon translation was originally released in 2001. There was a very strong (and ill-conceived) push to get it out on Halloween back then, and the resultant patch was terribly buggy; battle menus didn’t display right, status menus didn’t display right, lots of item names had been chopped down to fit in available space, battle narrative didn’t display in the correct order, and the writing was in desperate need of an edit.
The patch was eventually pulled voluntarily, as it really did not meet quality standards. Work continued on it on and off, fixing the combat narrative, expanding menus, and adding multi-line item names. g8z et al helped out with the font display in the menus, and the narrative was eventually passed off to Wes Falls. Lots of issues kept cropping up during testing, several of which turned out to be in the original game. The game itself isn’t very well put together, but the new patch is pretty solid regardless of the source material.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Laplace no Ma (Japan).sfc - NOINTRO
- CRC32: 49C4CC15
- MD5: 3593DF92FBA7BEDBB68F22F61F081D55
- SHA-1: 3386462D9A7670F94BCBACE6C19ADC1FF64C1575
- SHA-256: A165AFE76D9333F369C5092BA456A7C8E28B761B1FF692BB64BDAFD21666F617
User Review Information
Has problems, but beatableReviewed By: Griever_GF on 18 Dec 2016
I finished game twice. Well, it need additional work, but it playable.
- garbage text in battle menu / main menu / Kusakabe skills
- problems when Joanna in your party - garbage text in battles after spells or even freezing (can be the game bug, don’t sure)
- errors when displaying item names in character phrases (i.e. after victory over the Skeleton Knight
- rarely text doesn’t fit textbox (mostly near the end of the game)
- broken graphics in sacrifice scene near the end of the game
- some item description is more than 2 strings = garbage text in item menu after scrolling
- item name font doesn’t look nice
- rarely character dot in ingame map located in wrong place
- if you return to 2nd floor through the northwest exit of 3rd floor in the endgame, you end up in broken map zone, but I guess it’s a game bug
But still I guess that 95% status is adequate. If you learn battle menu points, other thing are not critical at all.
Still wish for 100% translation though.
Version 0.95b Recommended - Yes
|100% Playable||kamentierr||06 Oct 2019||2.00||Yes|
|Has problems, but beatable||Griever_GF||18 Dec 2016||0.95b||Yes|
|Broken menu text ruins everything||Real_Character||17 Oct 2016||0.95b||No|
|Awesome old game||CANS||21 Jul 2009||N/A||Yes|