Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom
Hack of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zelda3 Goddess of Wisdom
|Released By||Francais, Omega, PuzzleDude, SePH|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||31 July 2011|
|Last Modified||22 July 2019|
This hack was originally called –Zelda Shards of Might–. It was made by Omega and SePH, But unfortunately it was bugged. Zelda didn’t appear in the guardhouse. This could be fixed, but the forest dungeon was heavily bugged. The game was unsolvable.
Luckily Francais from France removed those major bugs. He called the hack –Zelda Link to the future Chapter 3–. But the game was still bugged. You get Zelda at the beginning, but when you talk to your uncle, she disappeared. Some entrances were switched, which would result in false game play and all jumps diagonally-down would crash the game.
You can’t rescue Zelda since there is no staircase that leads to the priest, so the rain never stops and the palace guards didn’t disappear. The game was again unsolvable.
Removed all mentioned bugs and have made new gameplay. Two dungeons were extended. There were also crash bugs inside the dungeons. All this was fixed.
Sometimes, the logic of the dungeon was false (some key doors were optional or there would be a key behind the key door). Plus, you really don’t know if you should search for pendants or crystals. All this was fixed.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Legend of Zelda, The - A link to the past [E] [!]
- CRC32: 04D55E12
- MD5: ECFB3BD489A15CDDA12066100BDE0378
- SHA-1: 7C073A222569B9B8E8CA5FCB5DFEC3B5E31DA895
- SHA-256: 654183585E88ABF965B19570C194F3D69EF209A7F2D32F71881ECEAEA6A3487E
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|PuzzleDude||Hacking||Supervisor, dungeon design, gameplay, debugging, beta testing|
|SePH||Original Hacking||Overworld design, GFX editing|
|Dude Man||Original Hacking||Initial dungeon design (when the project was still Shards of Might)|
|Omega||Original Hacking||Initial supervisor (when the project was still Shards of Might)|
|Francais||Hacking||2 new overworld areas for the cost of new bugs (project name was ALTTF ep3)|
User Review Information
v3.1 is sadly broken, but v3.0 is great!Reviewed By: Artheau on 19 Jun 2019
Wanting to play a complete Zelda hack other than Parallel Worlds, I arrived at Goddess of Wisdom as a possibility. I patched up v3.1 and was ready to go! At first things seemed great, but quickly into the first dungeon I realized that there was no way to rescue Zelda.
Now, I knew that there were puzzles in this game, and I expected some intensity in this regard, so I tried for countless hours to solve the puzzle myself before looking online for a spoiler. What I found was that no one had ever completed v3.1. In fact, no one ever will, because one of the early chests contains the wrong contents (the gloves). The progression logic is thus broken and there is no way to continue in the game. A bunch of people advertised that they had finished v3.0, but all I found about v3.1 were a couple others in similar situations where they could not progress because they never received the needed dungeon item.
So, I combed through the internet for a long time trying to find a v3.0 patch. It took a long time – some patches said they were v3.0 but were actually v3.1, and others were broken entirely. But, in the end, I patched up a v3.0 ROM that worked and played through the game solving the puzzles that I expected to solve. I enjoyed myself a great deal, and my review in this regard will unfold much the same as those who have reviewed the game before me:
quick v3.1 review:
- broken. It is literally impossible to progress past the first dungeon.
- First dungeon is not completable because the chests inside of it give the wrong items.
quick v3.0 review:
- Great game. An immersive and complete experience.
- Requires a few known tricks like bonking across gaps.
- I like the statue pushing puzzles overall. Since a few are a bit long, I wish that the statues moved faster.
- Overall, definitely more difficult than the classic game, but managable for someone who is good at the classic game, needs a challenge, and has a particularly tenacious spirit.
- There are a couple points where a particular mechanic isn’t going to be obvious – they are indicated by yellow stars on the ground to hint that you might have to do something that you don’t expect to do. Even then, a couple of the necessary mechanics are really obscure, so you might find yourself stuck trying to figure out what kind of object might be able to, for instance, hit a faraway switch.
- A lot of time went into this game, and it shows. There is a lot of polish that one would not normally expect from a ROM hack.
Now, as I did not want anyone else to end up going through the same experience of having to spend so much time to figure out that v3.1 was broken, I contacted romhacking.net support. Apparently the folks at rh.net have some history with PuzzleDude and don’t like him, so they don’t want to roll back the latest version (that PuzzleDude apparently uploaded himself). I also contacted PuzzleDude and he apparently doesn’t like anyone and he said a variety of things to me and a lot of other people that he will probably regret when he sobers up.
So I don’t know what to recommend to you, the reader of this review, other than that this is a great game which you cannot play by downloading the version you see before you. On account of some apparent feud, this broken version will exist on this website forever as sort of a “last laugh” scenario, and somewhere someone will feel great that they somehow “won” an argument by preventing everyone from enjoying a game that must have taken countless hours to create.
Version 3.1 Recommended - No
|Not able to complete 1st dungeon.||sinistra||15 Jul 2019||3.1||No|
|YES DO PLAY||lyapko||07 Jul 2019||3.1||Yes|
|DO NOT PLAY||Bigwil1870||23 Jun 2019||3.0||No|
|v3.1 is sadly broken, but v3.0 is great!||Artheau||19 Jun 2019||3.1||No|
|Goddess of Illusions||ViolentForce||27 Dec 2015||3.0||Yes|
|Great ideas, not great execution.||Chris Miller||07 Jul 2015||3.0||No|
|Excellent, but with a few hiccups||eskimo44||26 Aug 2013||N/A||Yes|
|Most excellent!||lexluthermiester||05 Aug 2011||N/A||Yes|
|Good stuff, really||Hrith||07 Feb 2011||N/A||Yes|