Aria of Sorrow Alter
Hack of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Aria of Sorrow Alter
Hack of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Role Playing > Action RPG|
|Hack Release Date||26 January 2020|
|Last Modified||26 January 2020|
IPS patching required.
This is a hack of Aria of Sorrow that changes most part of the map, and the aim is to give completely new experience to players.
- Most of the map redone. Some new puzzles added. Added a new area like Nest of Evil in PoR.
- Some of the weapons, armors and accessories are changed. Example: Valmanway and Excarlibur.
- Changed some items. Example: Mina’s Charm, work like magic ticket and can be used without consuming it. Talk to Mina to acquire this.
- Most of souls are slightly easier to acquire.
- Bug fixes to original game, including shop giltch and death warp.
- Soma’s status are changed. Julius is greatly strengthened. The aim is that Julius is super and can be used very easily.
Not all changes are listed here, so that players can find out new things themselves.
For some frequently asked questions, view the readme file.
- v1.11: Fixed a bug that Flame Deamon + Giant Bat + Succubus soul combination does not work correctly. Though it is not a major bug, it still makes me feel deserve to fix it. Also a minor map tile fix in Death Arena.
- v1.10: Changed some parts of the game which has confused a lot of players (and is also not satisfied by the author). The main game play remains the same so that players who has already cleared this hack are not necessarily to play this again. This will be the last update for this hack if no major bugs were found.
- A key item can no longer be sold, which will prevent the player from getting good ending.
- Added a tip telling player what is happening when opening the gate in the Underground Reservoir.
- Changed the gfx of sealed boss doors so that players can tell apart them from normal ones.
- Remade a room in the Inner Quarters so that player may not be confused by the fake “exits”.
- Changed the text of Hint Card 2 & 3 to make them more clear to players.
- Some other minor changes.
- v1.01: Fixed a bug that Tsuchinoko soul does not work correctly.
ROM / ISO Information:
- No-Intro Entry: Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow (USA)
- External Header: No
- ROM Size: 8388608 (800000)
- UNMODDED CRC32: 35536183
- UNMODDED MD5: E7470DF4D241F73060D14437011B90CE
- UNMODDED SHA-1: ABD71FE01EBB201BCC133074DB1DD8C5253776C7
- MODDED CRC32: 513AF4C9
- MODDED MD5: D15C0B9AA1D9D9C28D53BF80DAD08EF0
- MODDED SHA-1: 46677C2DCFC76ADAF59CF84896EE9448E93F83A3
User Review Information
More like AoS 2.0 if you ask me :PReviewed By: jm102887 on 15 Jan 2020
Wow…just….WOW. I NEVER play a game through in one sitting, but this one I did, so that speaks volumes about how good this is.
THE MAP: Already from the start, even playing a few moments encourages a lot of hope. I’ve seen other hacks try to change the map, and the result is often underwhelming. Either they look bad or just don’t seem very inspired. This one, on the other hand, makes every area feel natural despite the rather drastic changes made to each locale. Some of them are shuffled around in terms of where they are exactly, but never is it in a bad way. The game feels big, the locations are very well done, and it’s not difficult to get anywhere…and I don’t feel like ripping my hair out cause I can’t find anything or figure out where to go, lol. I will say that some of the locations feel a little smaller than before, but that could be to accommodate for the completely new and optional Devil’s Arena. Still, none of the places feel too small, nor do any of the larger ones feel like they “overstay their welcome” so to speak. Also, I wanted to point out that I originally didn’t care for the Floating Gardens, either its layout or its strange method of everything not connecting quite like you think. This hack makes it just a single, large area up top next to the Clock Tower and I’m perfectly cool with that.
GAMEPLAY: And now the real meat of this utterly delicious hack. Gameplay is the same as before, your standard AoS-fare. You do gain +15HP/lvl as opposed to +12, but you also start out with 120HP less than the base game does. Honestly I didn’t think there too much of a difference, but it was noticeable. What really makes this game shine is the fact that there’s LEGIT PUZZLES! None of them are hard or crazy or anything, but a handful of the areas have a specific theme they revolve around, such as shifting the water level a bit in a few areas of the Underground Waterway, etc. My absolute favorite was the Clock Tower. I’m not going to spoil it, but I want to say that was where my mind DEFINTELY was blown and I realized what a true gem I was playing. All I can say is…WOW…if only the base game had this kind of creativity…
FUN: An absolute HECK YES!! As I said, I don’t play games through in one sitting, but I played this all evening and finished it in a single night. I simply HAD to see what else was here. I didn’t 100% the game, but I found a lot of new things in terms of puzzles, environmental changes, new items, shifting of where enemies were, and enough so that I just wanted to keep going. Admittedly, the Devil’s Arena was aggravating, but mostly in the same vein as Circle of the Moon’s Battle Arena, which I felt it was more inspired by than the Nest of Evil from Portrait of Ruin. The reward is well worth it, in my opinion, but it was more difficult getting through this than CotM’s Battle Arena, though that’s probably due to not being able to stack 99 each of every healing item :P
MY RATING: 9.8/10 What can I say, really? Just about everyone else’s review says it all as well. This hack is an absolute blast to play. The castle is marvelously well done, the addition of creative puzzles that the environment is designed around is fantastic, and the feeling of wanting to know what’s just up ahead that constitutes the true joy of playing a Metroidvania is worth feeling again. Is this game COMPLETELY perfect? No, but it hits all the best notes and does it with a bang ^^
Version 1.10 Recommended - Yes
|Breathes New Life Into AoS (note about Clock Tower)||Squire Doodad||23 May 2020||1.11||Yes|
|More like AoS 2.0 if you ask me :P||jm102887||15 Jan 2020||1.10||Yes|
|Surpassed All Expectations and More||kookoor1koo||01 Feb 2020||1.10||Yes|
|Best Castlevania for GBA! Hands Down.||StarWyvwern||16 Dec 2019||1.10||Yes|
|More than just 'Alter'||Midas Magnezone||10 Oct 2019||1.10||Yes|
|My Favoriote AoS Hack||Hect0r||22 May 2019||1.01||Yes|
|Can't describe how good it is||Adrian_Tepes||25 Apr 2019||1.01||Yes|
|Please...PLEASE DO MOAR!||Oyyy||22 Apr 2019||1.01||Yes|
|Excellent||kal||17 Apr 2019||1.01||Yes|
|The opinion of one who is Castlevania AoS Hacks on YouTube||Mister Rysgar||15 Apr 2019||1.01||Yes|
|A marvelous hack of Castlevania AoS!!||ikusatatsu_ushiromiya||10 Apr 2019||1.0||Yes|