Sega Master System
|Released By||SMS Power!|
|Platform||Sega Master System|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Game Date||20 December 1987|
|Release Date||25 May 2020|
|Last Modified||28 May 2020|
Phantasy Star is a role playing game for the Sega Master System, and the first in the Phantasy Star series. It’s also one of the earliest JRPGs, and considered a pioneer in the genre. It was critically acclaimed for its scope, lush graphics, animations, 3D dungeons (a first for JRPGs), and for its blend of science fiction and fantasy elements.
This patch retranslates the original Japanese game to give a whole host of improvements:
- More faithful to the original Japanese script
- Expanded script
- Expanded menus and item names
- Sound test and sound chip selection
- Built-in cheats to make the game a little less tough/slow
- Two custom fonts, with upper and lowercase letters
- Expanded save slot names and three additional save slots
- Fully compatible with old saves, the original cartridge (with ROM replacement) and of course for play on real hardware
This update also includes lots of script changes, faster scene changes, and bug fixes.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Phantasy Star (Japan)
- No-Intro: Master System (v. 20180825-190228)
- ROM SHA-1: C9A40DDD217C58DDDCD6B5C0FE66C3A50D3E68E4
- ROM CRC32: 6605D36A
User Review Information
The Pride of Algol (Update for 2.00)Reviewed By: vivify93 on 30 May 2020
I got into the Phantasy Star series in 2012. Obviously, the retranslation was out by then, so that would be my first experience with the series. I could not have asked for a better one! I’ve since played the original localization, and was shocked at how many directions and story details were omitted, so kudos to SMS Power! for retaining them in the retranslation.
Since then, Maxim has released v2.00, which incorporates many new and amazing features that can smooth out and update the classic experience.
- Expanded menus for longer item names, as well as four lines per dialogue box.
- Retranslation and relocalization, which retains all of the directions and hints from the Japanese original.
- Intelligently written without seeming pretentious or inserting any memes.
- Retained beautiful FM sound synth, featuring the ability to toggle between FM and PSG sound through the new Sound menu.
- New options to multiply walking speed, experience, meseta, and halve encounter rate.
- Choice to toggle between a questionable new font and Phantasy Star IV’s menu font.
- Incorporates my Brunette Alis mod as yet another option.
- I still think the new default font is butt-ugly. (Luckily you can change it ASAP and it saves to SRAM!)
- I disagree with the choice to rename spells.
This was the definitive Phantasy Star experience back in 2008, and in 2020, now more than ever that still rings true. It’s highly recommended, and I would even go so far as to recommend it over the Switch port. If you’ve never played Phantasy Star before, now is the time.
Version 2.00 Recommended - Yes
|New 2.0 version||d0pefish||30 May 2020||2.00||Yes|
|The Pride of Algol (Update for 2.00)||vivify93||30 May 2020||2.00||Yes|
|Don't even play the original translation anymore||Animation Guru||05 Mar 2012||N/A||Yes|
|Incredible!||obscurumlux01||25 Feb 2011||N/A||Yes|
|Why the game was retranslated||rlafonte||29 Jan 2009||N/A||Yes|