Hack of Pokémon: FireRed Version
Hack of Pokémon: FireRed Version
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||12 June 2020|
|Last Modified||13 June 2020|
Pokémon Throwback is a hack created to serve as a definitive version of the original Kanto journey. Based off of Pokémon FireRed, Throwback includes a bevy of features and fixes to make it worth using over the base games.
- A GB Player item allows for players to hear the original 8-bit music in the game, as well as switch between it and the standard FR/LG music at any time.
- Reasonable Pokémon placement throughout the game - taking cues from all iterations of the first generation games, including Yellow and Japanese Blue - ensures that all Pokémon from the first two generations are obtainable through official-ish means (including canon evolution methods).
- The main characters now wear clothing similar to their initial depictions in the original games and related media.
- All text has been decapitalized in a manner consistent with the most recent games.
- TMs and move tutors are infinitely reusable.
- Various bug fixes for the original game.
- Just about every kind of Berry is obtainable with repeatable methods, including Berries with EV-reducing/friendship-raising properties.
- All meaningful items are now obtainable, trees stay gone once you cut them, you can run indoors, many “tutorial” moments from the game have been removed, and much, much more!
The title of the hack in-game is simply Pokémon (subtitled “Pocket Monsters” in the credits). This is because the game within is an updated edition of the original adventure from 1996 (1998 internationally) and is version-agnostic.
Users can apply the entire patch, or pick certain options from the individual patches located in the folders from the .zip download if they so choose.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Pokemon - FireRed Version (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Game Boy Advance (v. 20180816-092117)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 41CB23D8DCCC8EBD7C649CD8FBB58EEACE6E2FDC
- File/ROM CRC32: DD88761C
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
The BEST. Want a fresh Gen 1 Experience? PLAY THIS.Reviewed By: JuneFromCapeVeer on 12 Nov 2020
EDIT: 40 hours in, I finished the game and Sevii Islands. I absolutely will call this definitive “Classic” FRLG. It is the counterpart to Radical Red, what many consider the best “Modern” FRLG. The entire game was a treat to play through and nothing felt “off” about it.
I’ll keep it short and I am only just after Cerulean City Gym.
But my god, it is perfect!! It has the best parts of other QoL hacks without the cringey stuff other FR rom hacks have(400-600+ Pokémon stuffed into the Kanto region, trolling, etc). The GB Sounds was an AMAZING choice: I am playing this with the same excitement as I played Pokémon Red back in 1998. It feels very faithful and it’s obvious the author really wanted to make a hack that isn’t just “fire red +” but instead a, well, THROWBACK to the old games (but without the annoying stuff…glad I can run on command!)
I recommend it and can’t wait to get further in the game. I’ll update this review later on with more thoughts as I play further.
Version 200612 Recommended - Yes
|The BEST. Want a fresh Gen 1 Experience? PLAY THIS.||JuneFromCapeVeer||12 Nov 2020||200612||Yes|
|Faraway Island removed?!||Thirteen 1355||02 Sep 2019||170328||Yes|
|Best Pokemon Game EVER||Krazzyklown||25 Nov 2015||3.9.1c||Yes|
|The definitive FireRed.||Chronosplit||29 Mar 2017||v170328||Yes|