Submission Rules and Guidelines
This form may look pretty intimidating at first, but it’s really quite simple. This is the required information necessary for our database to generate a page and catalog your submitted material! This is what needs to happen in order for the power to truly be in your hands. Your submission will feed directly into our database (after staff approval of course). Romhacking.net prides itself on having an archive of the highest quality ROM hacking material on the internet. The quality of your submission, and information presented, will directly impact the image of this site. Please make a serious effort. Fill the form out completely.
Please take a moment to read the following guidelines and ensure that your submission meets our requirements and is of the highest quality before submitting. If you have any questions, please ask on the message board FIRST! That’s it. Get to it and let’s make this the best ROMhacking community site on the net!
- Click the ‘?’ icon for help and/or clarification on any field in the form you’re not sure about.
- BBCode is allowed and encouraged for all description and review fields. Use it to make nice looking bulleted lists, bold text, italic text, and more!
- Double check that the game title and author name are not already in the database (or under an alternate name) before writing them in manually!
- Please write up an adequate length description. That’s what all our visitors are going to see. Proof read your work and check for spelling errors!
- Screenshots are highly encouraged. A picture is worth 1000 words and they will encourage visitors to try out your submitted material!
- Screenshots should be clean and in native resolution of their respective platform. (Screenshot Policy)
- All file and image fields are URL based. That means you must input the URL to a file or image stored on another site or personal webspace. Upon approval, the files will be copied to our servers! No local uploads are allowed at this time for security reasons. (Submission File Policy)
- Non English descriptions are not accepted in any section.
- Descriptions should be informative in nature and not contain personal advertising such as donation or funding links.
- For current generation platforms including Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Wii U, Playstation 4, Playstation Vita, and Xbox One; only news, documents, and utilities may be submitted. No hacks or translations are permitted at this time.
While we try to minimize subjectivity, we realize there is some subjectivity involved in interpreting if a submission meets the guidelines. Understand that submission reviewers may not be familiar with your nature of the submitted project and can only make a determination based on the information presented. Be sure to include adequate information in the description of all submissions. If you feel your submission may have been rejected unfairly, please either respond directly to the staff member whom issued the rejection notice, or use the contact staff form to reach the general staff. Be sure to cite specific reasoning and reference policy where appropriate. Should staff agree, your submission will be reconsidered for inclusion. Staff may also elect community-based judgement, or public discussion of a wider reaching issue if appropriate. Public discussions regarding specific submission rejections should only be started by staff.
If you are submitting news relating to a document, utility, or patch release (or anything carried on this site), please go to Submit Files, create an entry, and add the file to our site. For updates, you can simply edit the existing entry page! After your submission is approved, you should submit the news article with a link to the entry page in the ‘RHDN Project Page’ field. News articles without a corresponding project page (where applicable) may be delayed or rejected. This process ensures all news and entry pages will be properly linked and be able to be cross referenced by our visitors.
News referencing other ROM hacking sites are allowed if non-overlapping and non-competing with RHDN (such as most personal, project, and game specific sites). Advertisements are not allowed.
- For translation or hack projects, include at least a sentence or two about what the game is and what platform it is for. Not everyone may know about the game in question.
- A bit of history about the project should be included. When did it start and who was involved? This is valuable information to aid users in assessing and appreciating the material.
- One image (up to 640×480) or two images (up to 320×240 each) are accepted.
- Although an account is not required for news submission, if you are logged in, your news submission will be linked to your account profile.
- News should be written in third person as is standard across most major wiki based sites as well as academic and professional writing.
- News images are expected to be safe for work/school viewing.