News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda3 Parallel Remodel  (Read 21897 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Zelda3 Parallel Remodel
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:05:43 am »

Update By: puzzledude

Parallel Remodel is a remodeled version of the famous Zelda3 hack Parallel Worlds, that we all know as an extremely difficult game. Parallel Worlds is altogether a great technological marvel, with new gfx, various asm patches, completely new overworld and dungeons etc. It has
the potential of being even better than Alttp, but the gameplay is somewhat to radical. The backtracking was (in not so rare occasions) escalated to the extreme, the same goes for the health of some enemies. Some intelectual problems in the dark world dungeons are algorithm marvels: sure this is a good thing for math (Euclid really fits his nickname), but this is not a good thing for the player, who can easily give up.

Thus the idea of a remodel was born and was approved by SePH. Parallel Remodel therefore brings the difficulty to normal: backtracking was reduced almost to zero, algorithm problems were replaced, various semi bosses were reduced, special stunts like bomb jumping etc were removed, dark rooms are now lit etc.

Parallel Remodel is a game, that's fair to the player and doesn't want to force any super tricks, stunts or logic to finish the game, while still having a decent difficulty. It makes Parallel Worlds enjoyable. You don't have to use save states or cheats to finish the game. You don't have to be a veteran or a super player either. You will not be frustrated while playing.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/956/)

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda3 Parallel Remodel
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
Awesome, love seeing a patch made for the people! I somehow scraped through beating parallel worlds with a friend, so I'll get to playing and judging the new difficulty ^^

altoiddealer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:32:16 am »
After watching the beginning of a playthrough of Parallel Worlds, I was immediately not interested in playing this hack.  I was just not up for that much savestate abuse and frustration.

However, Goddess of Wisdom was the perfect difficulty level for me, and I really enjoyed it.  I found it very challenging, and I was always able to figure out the puzzles before my frustration meter crossed into the red.

I am very happy to see that this hack has been recreated at a level that normal people can play!!  I'll be starting this game immediately after I get home from work today  ;D

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:29:21 pm »
Happy to help. After hearing about Parallel Worlds, I started it with no hesitation. When battling through the guardhouse, I thought I missed the sword. Never did come to the uncle without save states. The next obstacle were bomb jumps in the meadow and Impas ways (never figured it out with no help). Altogether I climbed the Parallel Tower 8 times (to gain all it has to offer). My first impression was: A great game, but far to difficult and way to much backtracking.

I know lots and lots of players who never made it through the guardhouse and have quit the game, which is a shame, since they missed an entire adventure. Also if you play it on Wii, with that inaccurate joystick and no save states, you might not even make it to the guardhouse, because of that cave with many holes and shooters.

I also reviewed some critiques. Some were constructive, some mocking, some even aggressive. I had the idea of a remake a long while, but couldn't do it because of the heavy lock. The game was constructed not to be edited at all (try to open it in Hyrule Magic, you'll see what I mean).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:46:23 pm »
However, Goddess of Wisdom was the perfect difficulty level for me, and I really enjoyed it.
I've only seen Goddess of Wisdom through a Let's Play series (by a user whose name is something like Isocitration).
Looked good, but those changed block (I think the SMW community calls it "Map16 hacking") did seem to get a bit cliche and predictable by the end, though.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:32:49 am »
Amazingly we already got a video on this. Now you can compare the new guardhouse to the old one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiVBdv01uk

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:03:59 am »
Took me some time to find a SNES Emu that runs this fine on a PSP.
Just played around in the guardhouse. I think the way to get to the guardhouse was much harder then the guardhouse dungeon itself :)

EDIT: Oh, I skipped the lamp...

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:05 am »
Yes, when I first played PW, I was certain it must be through the caves system, because the guards block you off from getting to the spot on the map. Couldn't remove the night/day asm, because you start with night + rain (also dark), so it might be to dark and you can easily skip that big hole in the village. Plus if you enter it, its all darkness, if you don't have the lamp.

Regarding the emus. Only DS emulator is not recommended since it is still in development and doesn't run normally. Wii is slightly better, but still not that well, but the correct PSP emulator emulates fine. Also if you use PC emus, it is recommended to get a usb joystick (keyboard play is not recommended).

Tiduas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 12:22:16 am »
Haven't been playing through Alttp in ages and this looks like a nice and fresh version from that game, will absolutely give it a go soon. ^^

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:27:22 am »
Has anyone tried this on a flash cart? I am interested in trying this out, but if there are glitches that would prevent it from working in a real snes, I will pass. Just cautious after my experiences with SMW hacks.

Tompa

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 09:38:27 am »
Finished playing through it yesterday. I was a huge fan of the original Parallel Worlds, the challenge was pretty nice to me. This was just too easy instead.

Take the Parallel Tower for example. Most of it was just lots of empty rooms you had to go through. Nothing to fight, nothing to do and linear the whole way. I just felt a waste to climb through it. Several other dungeons (Mainly Darunia's Cavern, I liked the labyrinth before :-\) suffered the same thing, but the Tower was just too much to me.

On the other hand, Nabooru's Hole became much harder. Even impossible if you forgot to take the Cane of Byrna and enough bottles from the Light World. Forgetting those will prevent you from being able to finish the game, which is certainly a major flaw I would say.

Also finished the second quest, which also was easy. Only annoying part would be if you entered the Ganon fight with too few arrows. Even though it is possible to kill him without the arrows and then you fight Trinexx directly afterwads, which was a much easier fight even...

Some things were however done quite well, like the Guardhouse not having to do so much backtracking and having a fair difficulty. But overall, I salute you for the effort and a nice job was done for some parts, but this was just not as good as the original to me.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »
The patch doesn't work on any version of Link to the Past that I try to patch this game to. I tried the original version, and it seems to work. Why doesn't this versions?

Also, the old Parallel World Hack says it has new music, but I've been playing it a bit and I don't notice any.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:57 pm »
Finished playing through it yesterday. I was a huge fan of the original Parallel Worlds, the challenge was pretty nice to me. This was just too easy instead.

Considering the original Parallel Worlds hack was infamous among the wider romhacking/LP community for being 'a really awesome hack that was ruined by being abusively hard', I think you'll be in the minority with that viewpoint ;)

Now that it seems like a playable game, I'm actually going to play beyond the Guardhouse.

Plint: Just do what the readme says. Shouldn't be hard to find a version that works.

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 11:06:29 pm »
Amazingly we already got a video on this. Now you can compare the new guardhouse to the old one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiVBdv01uk

Well, it was nice to see the new title screen, but I had to stop the video after watching the intro scene...  There were soooo many errors in that script; it was an English teacher's worse nightmare!  I saw numerous subject-verb agreement errors and verb-tense problems that I had to give up. :(

In the future, maybe someone should work on editing out all the grammatical errors... (I'm assuming the entire game is like the intro)

Nice work, though! I don't want to be too much of a Negative-Nancy  :thumbsup:

Xalphenos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 12:28:12 am »
I'm certainly not an English teacher, but I agree with Draken.  At least in so far as the script definitely needs a good editing pass done to it.  I can't point out grammatical errors but the script is very awkward to read. 

Tompa

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:49 am »
Xenesis: Yeah, I know =). ALttP has quickly turned into a very easy game for me, hardcore gaming ftw, that's why it was very nice when PW first came out and was a completely new challenge. But now it has pretty much turned into an easier game than ALttP, at many points, which was kind of a letdown to me.

Second quest could have been a hard mode version for example, that would have been awesome!

About the grammar part. When I did a sort of beta test for the 1.1 version (Or if it was just after a couple of 1.0 playthroughs, can't remember), I gave Euclid and/or SePH a list of lot spelling errors and grammar improvements, though they were never added into the version. And my list is probably long gone anyway.

Also, Puzzledude, any reason why the remodel wasn't done with the 1.1 version? As it did fix a few things in the game. Such as the passage from left side Sanctuary in the Ice World. Among a lot of grammar fix (Far from all though).

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 06:03:32 am »
@Plint Michigan

The original Parallel Worlds patch used the 1996 rom to patch to, this new Parallel Remodel uses the US rom done on 23rd of august 2004 (no header). The difference is that the 1996 has a header. So you have 2 options, search for 2004 rom, or remove the header of the 1996 rom, and then patch.

The only new music is in Darunia's cavern dungeon.

@Draken

Yes, I know. The original authors were not english native speakers. The story is not only grammatically problematic, but it is also questionable regarding the story. I was using the 1.0 version of PW, so that's
the reason. The 1.1 has some texts fixed. The rest of the game is however less problematic than the intro, but I agree that everything regarding texts is a weak point of the game.

Another problem of the game is that it is locked, and I never decoded the text (if one letter is changed in the text, all text pointers and all the text data is changed), which is way to much to allow any text editings.

@Tompa

The only version of PW that I had was 1.0, and had it already edited to some point. Once I picked up 1.1, the hex data was changed and it didn't match to the 1.0 in some points. Ive heard there were only text differences, so I continued with the 1.0.

The only problem is that the file is heavy locked, otherwise I could just fix all the texts, add sprites in some empty dungeons (like Impas ways), change sprite blk and add new sprites (Parallel Tower), fix Link's sprite gfx wise, fix the title screen (still bugged in most emulators), fix the display faults in some staicase passages etc.

So I had no choise but to lower the standard for this game, and will rather raise the standard in my next project, because PW is very difficult to edit.

Edit
I've just realized I can port the new data to 1.1 version with text, titlescreen and other fixes. Will probably come up with 1.1 version in the near future.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:01:28 am by puzzledude »

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 02:50:17 pm »
@Plint Michigan

The original Parallel Worlds patch used the 1996 rom to patch to, this new Parallel Remodel uses the US rom done on 23rd of august 2004 (no header). The difference is that the 1996 has a header. So you have 2 options, search for 2004 rom, or remove the header of the 1996 rom, and then patch.

The only new music is in Darunia's cavern dungeon.

How do I remove headers? Because the only rom I could find without a header is unavailable for download. (At Doperoms)

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
First make a copy of the 1996 file (you might need it in its original form). Rename the copy to the 2004 (since this is what you'll get). Open this new rom in a hex editor, such as HxD hex editor (freeware) and delete the 32 rows at the beginning (bunch of zero bytes). This is 512 bytes in dec or 200 in hex.

PS The site you mentioned has removed the US Zelda3 file, but it is still on the net elsewhere. Because of the legal perposes I cant give you or link you to any rom sites.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 06:36:46 pm »
I can't seem to remove the header with the hex-editor I have. Do you recommend any?