News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Gun-Dec, Japanese Version of Vice: Project Doom, Translation Released!  (Read 5855 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

Today we have finished our translation of Gun-Dec, the Japanese version of Vice: Project Doom. This game has always been on our radar out of simple curiosity to see whether or not the translation was ever any good. As it turns out, it wasn't. In addition to the usual censorship, there are parts of the translation that are completely made up and don't follow the original text at all. Sure there are parts where the translation is relatively faithful, but taken as a whole, the official is not very good. Surprise, surprise.

This release is about a month's worth of work starting about a month ago and was designed to get us back on the groove for future projects. From a technical perspective, all that needed to be done was expand the ROM and relocate part of the text into the expanded area to provide us with almost unlimited space (for the purposes of this translation) for our translation. Then we began text revision phase and now release!

By the way, we are almost ready to start testing The Legend of the Double Moon for the NES. It's an excellent DQ clone and probably rivals that of DQ itself. If you've offered to help before or would like to help testing, please let us know!

P.S. If anyone can explain the title Gun-Dec, we'd love to know what it could possibly mean. The current thinking is that Dec is some sort of weird Japanese abbreviation for detective.

P.P.S. The title Vice: Project Doom wasn't completely made up. When you boot up the game and get the title in an 8x16 font, VICE is stored with GUN-DEC in the same CHR section.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/)

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
Thanks for the heads up!

How come I never heard about this game? This is the genre I cherish on the NES. Back in the day I hunted down these games and the companies making them (Shadow of The Ninja / Power Blade Series / Ninja Gaiden Series  / Ninja Crusader / Kabuki Quantum Fighter...) and the companies making them (Natsume / Technos / Sammy...).

For the record I even went to modify my European NES just to play Shadow of The Ninja (back in the day, early '90, it wasn't yet available, it was later released under the name "Blue Shadow").

Thanks to romhacking.net I discovered some very impressive stuff:

- Shatterhand,

- Journey to Silius,

- and now Gun-Dec / Vice: Project Doom

Again you have my thanks.

Edit: I see Gun-Dec has friggin' Driving / Shooter missions! This is quite unique. Mhm this one sounds promising... :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:01:30 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Well, if you like this game, you'll probably like The Adventures of Bayou Billy. Same exact genre mash-up except the action part is more beat em up like as opposed to something like Ninja Gaiden for this. And if you or anyone else does decide to check out Bayou Billy, you should play the Japanese version, Mad City, which I also translated. The US release was butchered beyond belief.

Lilinda

• View Profile
Butchered to the point where it's become known as a legendarily bad game, no less!

Definitely go with Pennywise's version, Croc.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
Well, if you like this game, you'll probably like The Adventures of Bayou Billy. Same exact genre mash-up except the action part is more beat em up like as opposed to something like Ninja Gaiden for this. And if you or anyone else does decide to check out Bayou Billy, you should play the Japanese version, Mad City, which I also translated. The US release was butchered beyond belief.

Oh boy ! I’ve just read your comparison between the JAP / US versions of Bayou Billy:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1554/

This is just unbelievable!! I couldn’t stop giggling. For seasoned romhackers I bet this fact is old as the hills. But for me that’s some breaking news! :laugh:

I remember clearly that the Bayou Billy cartridge was some of the most common stuff at the videogame shops of that era, sellers were almost throwing the cartridge at you face. How many times did I check the back cover, watched the screenshots and considered it, just as you said, a Crocodile Dundee rip-off. So I never bought it.  I bet I was wrong.

Again thank you both for the good tip.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:01:35 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
If the translation wasn't very good, I wonder why the game was delayed so long? ;D
I do recall Nintendo Power in part blaming the delay on its obscurity. They reviewed the game in like May 1991, but said it wasn't released until like November, when people were more concerned with getting a SNES.
(though the most bizarre is probably Equinox. NP and GamePro at least, maybe EGM, reviewed that game around a year and a half before it was released. Yeah, review, as in rating it, suggesting it was a finished game.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018