News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: The Legend of Double Moon Translation Released  (Read 15833 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

Stardust Crusaders presents another completed NES RPG translation for the unknown classic, The Legend of Double Moon. At its heart, it is a DQ clone, but it is much more than that. Featuring a unique aim system in battle, battles have an extra layer of complexity added to them. On top of the great story, the game has many hidden things for players to discover. But please be aware that this game is old school and features a high encounter rate, hard as hell enemies, and requires a lot of grinding.

As for the project, it was started years ago by Bongo` and was translated by aishsha. But the project lingered and eventually died. aishsha eventually picked the project up and redid most of the hacking aside from a few misc things. Pennywise lent his expertise as usual. Finally, Eien ni Hen edited the script and played through the game for us.

Enjoy this quality translation that was years in the making.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org)

getter77

• View Profile
Re: Translations: The Legend of Double Moon Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:59:02 am »
Always great to see another project from ages ago finally make it to the finish line.   :thumbsup:

GreenBanana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:05:31 am »
Where's the project page?

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
There has to be a better life.

meunierd

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 01:46:57 pm »
I remember seeing the title screen mockup years ago, it's great to see this project finally complete. Congrats on the hard work!

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:48:04 pm »
YEEEESSSSS!!! I was looking forward to seeing this one released  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: it looks really nice, the graphics have a FF3 vibe and it looks the plot is very good. I'm going to sink my teeth into it right now, thank you very much for this translation, guys, I could go on for a whole year saying thanks and I still won't feel like I've been grateful enough  :beer: :beer:

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 10:21:42 pm »
It's finished! My plate's a bit full, but I'll check it out sooner than later. That video Pennywise put up really did win me over to its potential though.

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:42:08 am »
What other RPG gems from the 8-bit/16-bit are waiting to be discovered and translated for our enjoyment? Like I said in another thread, who needs new games when we have ROM-translations?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:24:47 pm by 90s Retro Gamer »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »
Yeah, that kind of thinking is nonsense and encourages warez behavior with unlimited expectations. I am of the opinion that there is no future without the past and vice versa.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 04:43:30 pm »
who needs new games when we have ROM-translations
I do :)

getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 04:52:16 pm »
Yeah, there are still a bevy of classic titles still to come---with luck, many of these buried gems can live anew as the inspiration behind the great games still yet to come.  You never know what nuggets of genius folks can wind up resonating with and taking to a higher level even years after the fact beyond all expectations...

piau9000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 05:53:41 pm »
Judging by the trans request list, not very many on the 8-bit side at least. The NES "gems" are about exhausted... only 3 or 4 DQ clones remain untranslated. There are the awful Fist of the North Star RPGs still yet, and a Dragon Ball game... and that's it. Cross referencing with the database at Legendra.com confirms that NES translations are at the end of road. Plenty of Gameboy/Color games still to translate, but how many of them are Pokemon clones? Same with the GBA. Forgive me for not being excited about the storyline prospects of collection RPGs.

What does remain are a lot of CD-based games which will be very time intensive to hack. It seems all these CD games require hundreds of man hours to translate in full, with teams of 20 people or more. The pressure from copyright holders is significant... it will take a different approach to translate these larger games in a timely manner.

The SD gundam knight games are still untranslated too.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 06:19:02 pm »
Let's not get into a discussion about untranslated gems etc. But just for the record, there are enough untranslated gems to keep me busy for several years even just for RPGs. And no translated game is safe from me if I think the hacking and/or translation is sub-par.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:30:23 am »
Like I said in another thread, who needs new games when we have ROM-translations?

Why not both?  ;D ;D ;D

By the way, there are lots of Japanese RPGS still unstranslated for the NES. Nevertheless, whether they're good games or mostly crap, that's a different matter. "Otaku no Seiza" comes to mind, I don't know much about that one, but it seems some people are looking forward to it. Also for the NES, there's the "Momotarou Densetsu" series, the "Little Ninja Brothers" series in which only the first game was officially translated if I remember clearly, or the "Ganbare Goemon Gaiden" RPGS.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:15:04 pm by aqualung »

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 01:03:32 am »
Another JRPG translation? That's awesome. The more the merrier!  ;D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 09:04:26 am »
Why not both?  ;D ;D ;D

By the way, there are lots of Japanese RPGS still unstranslated for the NES. Nevertheless, whether they're good games or mostly crap, that's a different matter. "Otaku no Seiza" comes to mind, I don't know much about that one, but it seems some people are looking forward to it. Also for the NES, there's the "Momotarou Densetsu" series, the "Little Ninja Brothers" series in which only the first game was officially translated if I remember clearly, or the "Ganbare Goemon Gaiden" RPGS.

I still want to look at Momo-Gaiden.

As to Little Ninja Bros.: there were three games each on NES, GB and SNES. Though the first NES/GB game was not an RPG.
Super Chinese series for Famicom: we got 1 (Kung-Fu Heroes) and 2 (Little Ninja Bros.). Didn't get 3.
Super Chinese Land for Game Boy: we got 1 and 2 (Ninja Boy 1 and 2). Didn't get 3. There was also 3'. But I don't know the difference. I think 3' was also only released on a multicart with the full trilogy but I'm not sure.
Super Chinese World for Super Famicom: we got 1 (Super Ninja Boy, though it seems to have been altered a bit). Did not got 2 or 3. It seems 2 was at one point planned for localization as Galactic Defender (though EGM had also previewed one of the Culture Brain fighting games under that title. I forget at the moment if it was Super Chinese Fighter or SD Hiryuu no Ken) I took a bit of a look at SCW3. It is probably going to be **** to translate.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 02:26:37 pm »
Judging by the trans request list, not very many on the 8-bit side at least. The NES "gems" are about exhausted... only 3 or 4 DQ clones remain untranslated. There are the awful Fist of the North Star RPGs still yet, and a Dragon Ball game... and that's it. Cross referencing with the database at Legendra.com confirms that NES translations are at the end of road. Plenty of Gameboy/Color games still to translate, but how many of them are Pokemon clones? Same with the GBA. Forgive me for not being excited about the storyline prospects of collection RPGs.

What does remain are a lot of CD-based games which will be very time intensive to hack. It seems all these CD games require hundreds of man hours to translate in full, with teams of 20 people or more. The pressure from copyright holders is significant... it will take a different approach to translate these larger games in a timely manner.

Can you clarify what you mean by Pokemon clones for the GBC? I'm familiar with Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2, but were there others?

Yeah, it will probably take a long time to translate all these RPG's so don't hold your breath. Get your RPG fix with Flare RPG and the multitude of mods available. There are mods that make it a JRPG.

arromdee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 09:10:36 pm »
Telefang is probably one of the more famous Pokemon clones because Chinese pirates sold a hacked version of it as a Pokemon sequel.  There are people doing a fan translation, but the translation is so slow it will probably take a literal decade to finish it.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:11 pm »
I took a bit of a look at SCW3. It is probably going to be **** to translate.

Any specific reason why? Anything you'd care to divulge? :)

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 05:33:37 am »
Any specific reason why? Anything you'd care to divulge? :)
The pointers. But as I recall (and hope) - there's someone working on that one.