Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Hack of Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Hack of Sonic the Hedgehog
|Patching Information||BIN Format (GEN)|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||22 December 2013|
|Last Modified||22 June 2016|
Dr. Eggman has somehow stolen almost all of the colors (and music) from South Island, and Sonic himself! It is now up to Sonic to return them to where they belong, and restore the island to its colorful musical self.
Sonic’s mission is to find the various Color Monitors hidden in each stage. Upon finding them, the various colors and music of the area will begin to be restored to the zone, and he can then proceed to the next act. Collecting every Color Monitor in an act will also allow for Sonic to access the Special Stages to collect the 6 Chaos Emeralds. It is rumored that the Chaos Emeralds grant the power to restore all the colors of an act at once; collect them all to find out! Finding any one of the Color Monitors is required to get through the current act, but you can explore the stages to find them all!
When starting the game, you can select from one or two game-play modes:
Each zone includes a hub stage, in which Sonic must pass Acts 1 and 3 to continue to the next zone. Each Hub displays the completion status of each act, and can be restored with hidden monitors as well. Complete the stages and explore the hubs to find the elusive Act 2!
Play through each act in a linear order instead, as in Sonic 1-Knuckles.
As an option, Hint Arrows that lead to other monitors, found near each monitor, can be enabled for a less difficult and more accessible game-play option. This can be enabled at the beginning of Classic Mode, and before every act in Adventure Mode.
- C’ (3x): Returns the normal colors to the stage. Each stage includes three of these to track down.
- ‘Sonic’: Reverts Sonic’s colors back to normal, and grants 1 extra life.
- ‘Goggles’: Returns all underwater colors to normal, including Sonic’s. Labyrinth Zone and Scrap Brain Act 3 only.
- ‘Music’: Changes the background music back to normal.
- ‘Cycle’: Returns all of the cycling palettes (like Green Hill’s waterfalls) to normal. There are none of these in Marble Zone.
Note: Only finding one of these is required to complete the Act.
Other helpful Monitors
- ‘Super Ring’: Gives you 10 rings.
- ‘Speed Shoes’: Increases Sonic’s speed.
- ‘High-Jump Shield’: Increases Sonic’s jump height, as well as protects him from one single hit.
- ‘Restart’: Returns Sonic back to the start of the stage.
- ‘Invincibility’: Makes Sonic invincible for a short time.
This build includes 4 Zones–Green Hill Zone, Marble Zone, Spring Yard Zone, and Final Zone. However, future revisions will include Labyrinth Zone, Star Light Zone, and Scrap Brain Zone.
If you want to leave an act early, Hold A, then press Start when paused to return to the Hub Stage from any act.
Explore the zones to find all of the Color Monitors and unlock hidden secrets and extras!
- There is now have fully functional Restart and Music Monitors!
- The Signpost and Giant Ring will not appear unless any of the Change Monitors are found. The Restart Monitor will return the player to the beginning of the stage. The only issue is that some enemies have glitchy graphics after Sonic returns from the Signpost area.
- New All Emeralds collected ending.
- Resolved the glitches involved with the Signpost. If you have any one or more of the Color Monitors, then the screen will still lock, and the signpost and ring will appear. If not, then none of these will show.
- Finally fixed the Lamppost issue (and all of its auxiliary problems), so if all the Color Monitors are collected before hitting a lamppost they will return to the lamppost after death.
- Fixed a few small things like the Spike Bug, Walk-Jump, etc.
- Found a temporary work around to the Monitor mapping problem by shifting some mappings around. Reset Monitor uses the Eggman Art, while ‘S’ and Music now share the new ‘C’ Monitor art that was made.
- ‘Sonic Has Passed’ now reads as “Sonic Has Restored”
- Restored Music comes back from Drowning Countdown and invincibility.
- FZ has a slightly different Layout now.
- Removed the HUD in the Ending.
- Made the Shield into a High-Jump Shield. Having this shield now increases your jump height by $100, as well as protects you from a single hit.
- The Title Screen and Level Select Menu have had their colors stolen by Eggman as well :v:. They are both grayscale nows. The “Press Start Button” also appears now, and there is a new Level Select Code.
- Removed both speed caps.
- Restart and Music Monitors both have new art.
- Fixed the physics in the Special Stages.
- Eggman’s dastardly plan has also even reached the Special Zone! Special Stages are now grayscale until the emerald is collected, upon which the stage is returned back to normal.
- There is now a new “Cycle S” Monitor (which shares art/mappings with the S Monitor’s “C” art, due to current VRAM limitations), that changes the cycled palette of the given stage.
- High-Jump Shield’s arrows now always point upward, as they are supposed to.
- Special Stage entry now requires that all of the Color Monitors are found. Finding all of them also nets a 20,000 point bonus. This way, there is some sort of incentive in actually finding all of the monitors. SBZ Act 1 and all other Zones’ Act 3’s therefore also have Giant Rings now.
- Added “GOAL” signs for GHZ, MZ and SYZ.
- Managed to create somewhat ‘low-def’ versions of each stage track. Not exactly only Bass and Percussion, but close.
- There are now hub-areas, with their own hidden monitors (getting all of them will permanently color the hub stage). Before moving on to the next stage, on must at least get through both stages (Act’s 1&3) of the Zone, before moving on to the next one.
- There is now an unlock-able extra act for each zone, unlocked and accessed by completing everything in the level.
- Invincibility Mappings are fixed.
- Robotnik only shows up in Act 3’s if one of the monitors are found.
- Robotnik takes 12 hits to defeat, if you haven’t found every Color Monitor for that stage.
- Two more Color Monitors are now implemented.
- All Hub Stages are back-trackable to the previous ones (meaning the player can travel back to the Green Hill Hub from the one in Marble Zone).
- The clock stops while in the Hubs, to prevent Time Over while in them.
- Some of the colors in the Special Stages return once you pass the ‘ghost’ blocks.
- “SONIC TEAM PRESENTS” now reads “THEINVISIBLESUN PRESENTS”. (X’s are now edited to be V’s)
- Fixed the ‘Background Scrolling Glitch’
- Created a function that allows the player to return to the Hub stage (A+B+C when paused). If used, however, you lose one life if you have more than 3 (this is to make life padding more difficult).
- Implemented Markey Jester’s fade-in/out routine fix, as well as KingofHarts’ fade to/from white routine fixes.
- Also implemented Cinossu’s Smooth Special Stage Rotation edit.
- Disabled TimeOver; the timer stays at 9:59, but the player can take as long as they want to complete the stage.
- Several Layout Edits, and Object Placement issues (especially in Green Hill).
- Fixed some almost unnoticeable, but dangerous Variable placement issues.
- The secret ‘Pseudo’ Hyper Sonic Transformation now works in the secret unlockable Acts (which are accessed via Giant Rings that only appear once you’ve completely restored the corresponding zone, including the Hub), as it didn’t before.
- The requirement for said Transformation is now lightened; after getting the emeralds, the power-up works in zones where the hub is fully restored, and you have ‘Gotten Through’ both Acts. (The contest version required that a zone was %100 completed before using it in the zone)
- Fully implemented Classic Mode; goes through each normal act in order, with no hubs. Since there are currently only 6 acts in this option (LZ, SLZ, and SBZ are still unfinished at the moment) players automatically access the extra act through this mode.
- Newly implemented ‘Hint Arrows’. Next to each Color monitor, are arrows that point in the direction of another monitor (in one of 8 directions), with said monitor’s icon. Hopefully, this would make game a bit more intuitive to play, and a bit less difficult.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Sonic The Hedgehog (USA_ Europe) - NOINTRO
- CRC32: F9394E97
- MD5: 1BC674BE034E43C96B86487AC69D9293
- SHA-1: 6DDB7DE1E17E7F6CDB88927BD906352030DAA194
- SHA-256: 46160BAA06362C711C9F1A5017CB7371026444936C8AF5E93A78996CF32FF2A6
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|