Super Mario World: Just Keef Edition
Hack of Super Mario World
Super Mario World: Just Keef Edition
Hack of Super Mario World
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||06 November 2019|
|Last Modified||06 November 2019|
Bensalot AKA Just Keef Presents
Super Mario World Just Keef Edition
It’s the classic game with updated graphics,additional enemies and Dinosaurs, new tricks traps and paths, updated mechanics, and all new surprises along the way. Mario and the gang have decided to take a break from adventuring only to find that there is yet another adventure to be had! It’s the same old story, Bowser kidnaps the Princess blah blah blah.
This is a re-imagining of the original game with sort of a Lucas twist. Now Dinosaur Land actually has a wide variety of Dinosaurs, Luigi is his own man and not just a color swap of his brother, Toad joins the adventure with tips and useful item stops, all new original levels, and much much more! Feel like reliving the fun of Super Mario World with some added challenge? Give this hack a whirl. It’s a BLAST FROM THE PAST!
NOTE: There are 2 different versions of this patch. There is the main game with 2 players. Player 1 and Player 2 are both controlled with 1 controller so that the game can be played 2 player on mobile devices or just to use both Mario Bros. The second patch is the same game with the ability to select Mario or Luigi from the start menu. This patch will only allow for one player. Also, when I submitted 1.2 the changes only took effect in the main patch so this has been corrected. Version 3.0
Fixed a couple of issues. When 2.0 was created some issues came up where dragon coins were not saving properly and yoshi’s found were not appearing in boxes properly. This was due to an oversight on one of the ram patches used to save these items. This has been corrected.
Graphic fixup. Didn’t like the hammer/fire/ice/boomerang bros graphics so updated the design. Updated the graphics for the dolphins and minor edits to rip van fish. Also updated the readme file. Special shout out to Rubes Cubes. Rubes Cubes has tested this hack over and over and found various bugs and glitches. Thanks for the help!
Fixed an issue where if you triggered an event in star world, it would overwrite an event that is supposed to occur with the secret exit in Valley of Bowser 1. Edited some overworld tiles to fix some minor graphic errors. Modified Luigi graphics a tiny bit.
Fixed an issue where the ghost house in the forest would not create a path after beating it the normal way. Also touched up the player graphics slightly. Mostly luigi.
Attempted to fix an issue where the Forest Fortress boss would disappear. Pretty sure it’s fixed but if not send a message. Also forgot to close off the path after ludwig’s castle until after you beat it from the testing phase.
Fixed some graphic issues. Had to modify the crystal fortress boss fight. The sprite would randomly disappear. Turns out it won’t work if it uses too many screens. This has been fixed. Also fixed an issue with a star road space having a dragon coin found icon.
2.1 - 2.3 Fixed a couple graphics, fixed a level exit that could not be reached when small Mario, accidentally put the unmodified version of Mario Luigi Select in download file. This has been fixed.
FORTUNE SHINES! This version of the game brings a huge overhaul. 10 new dinosaurs have been added (12 if you count the baby versions) That means the total number of custom dinos has gone from 10 to 22. 3 new levels have been added bringing the total number of new levels up to 6. Some new music and a few new baddies have also been added. Minor fixes along the way and some new surprises. The total number of paths has been increased to 105. Special thanks to Blue Television Games for bringing this hack into popularity!
Reduced the file size to from 8mb to 6mb. New to ROM hacking when this hack was started. Lunar magic has an option to expand the ROM to 6 or 8 mb for SA1 purposes. However, 8mb turned out to be more than needed. Reducing this to 6mb should make it easier for emulators to run this ROM
- Changed up a few levels. With the addition of new enemies the levels did not quite flow right so some things were tweaked.
- The Ghost house in Forest of Illusion has been changed. The secret exit in the vanilla version is easier to find than the regular exit. A few things have been changed around to have the level make more sense as a level.
- Changed some of the looks of levels to reflect the area of the game that the level is taking place. Not much change here, but a few things have been added, colors changed, certain things taken away.
- Some of enemies have been moved in my custom levels to make the levels flow better.
- Fixed the echo effect in caves. Addmusick has a default action of removing the effect and didn’t notice when making the hack originally.
- Minor aesthetic changes in Crystal Caverns 4. Trying to go for a glowing cave/avatar type thing.
- Location of red Yoshi egg has been changed. Turns out baby Yoshis can eat the NPC sprite used and can’t figure out how to change. Made it a little harder for players to have baby Yoshi eat Toad. If that appeals give it a try. It’s funny at least.
- Dragon coin save has been fixed (pretty sure)
- Life counter in opening scene has been fixed. No more 1-Up sound effects
- Removed Banzai Bills from the higher up portion of Yoshi’s Island 1. It was confusing people.
- Waterfalls in Crystal Caverns 2 have been slightly changed to clash less.
- Attempted to fix a bug when wigglers spawn. Not sure if it is completely fixed but seems to work better.
- A couple of minor graphic changes in players.
- Added a custom cover image to the image file in the zip.
Notes and Known Issues:
- Mario’s name has a graphical glitch in the opening scene in the status bar. Not sure what happened with this but can’t figure out how to fix it.
- Yoshi’s double jump occasionally plays an odd sound. Not sure what causes this but has something to do with too many things happening on the screen at once.
- Sometimes the large dinosaurs will show odd behavior such as falling through the floor if too many falling objects are on the screen. These dinos are large, complicated sprites so they are not perfect. Shouldn’t really notice but it might happen from time to time.
- Para galoombas cannot be killed by cape spinning. This is due to the fact that their shoes will change colors if cape spinned. The ability to cape spin them was removed in order to preserve the right color for their shoes.
- A patch used in this hack caused a problem with the Bowser fight. For some reason if the main entrance is used, Bowser will only throw one mechakoopa. If the secret entrance is used he will throw two. Not sure how to fix (not for lack of seriously trying) so decided to leave it as feature and call it a day.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Super Mario World (U) [!].smc
- MD5: cdd3c8c37322978ca8669b34bc89c804
- SHA1: 6b47bb75d16514b6a476aa0c73a683a2a4c18765
- CRC32: b19ed489
- 524288 bytes
User Review Information
The name almost kills it... but it's still great.Reviewed By: ifightdragons on 17 Oct 2019
Very nice hack.
But, what’s up with the name? Just Keef Edition? I have no clue what this is referring to, and it feels like an inside joke which is kinda lame when you want to use this as your main way of playing a timeless classic. Even the title screen feels slightly ruined with the weird name.
I’m thinking many people will not download it because of the name as well. It doesn’t sound like an improvement hack, but more like some guy named “Keith/Keef/Whatever” just made his own crazy hack. But this is a legit main version of a classic game, and in many ways a serious improvememnt.
Besides the name, which I really dislike, it’s a great hack.
Version 2.2 Recommended - Yes
|Download This, NOW!!||Rubes Cubes||01 Nov 2019||2.9||Yes|
|The name almost kills it... but it's still great.||ifightdragons||17 Oct 2019||2.2||Yes|
|Same SMW, with lovely new content sprinkled-in||Uberdubie||20 Aug 2019||1.0||Yes|
|Neat Idea, Minor Bugs||G30FF||17 Aug 2019||1.0||Yes|
|If Anything Lucas Should be Taking Notes||XModxGodX||17 Aug 2019||1.0||Yes|